The Increasing Popularity of Solar Technology in New and Existing Homes
Solar energy has invaded the real estate business. In increasing numbers, home buyers and homeowners everywhere are seeking solar power for their single family residences. if you’re a homeowner or a home buyer, knowing the benefits of solar power and the value of solar panels can help you decide whether or not solar energy is right for your home.
Benefits of Solar Energy
Solar energy is one of the leading green technologies found on residential properties. For homeowners and soon to be homeowners, there are many reasons to invest in solar energy, including:
- Residential solar energy is clean; solar panels produce no waste or greenhouse gases to generate power for your home.
- Solar energy is cost efficient enough that many people who have solar power can actually sell power back to the grid, so they can make money on energy they don’t use.
- Solar energy is improving all the time, so homeowners who install solar panels on their homes today can take advantage of the most up to date, efficient systems.
In addition to the above benefits, solar panels can actually add to a home’s property value. When a home goes on the market, home buyers commonly seek solar energy and are attracted to sustainable, efficient homes.
What to Expect From the Industry
In the coming years, there will likely be many changes to the solar industry, most of them for the good of the homeowner. Solar panels are becoming easier to install and more cost effective. These low prices make it easier to make solar energy a part of your household. In addition, solar panels are shrinking in size, so modern homes can benefit from smaller panels that generate and store more energy. As this kind of feature becomes more desirable, builders cannot ignore the demand.
This makes solar energy more accessible to general homeowners and helps shape homebuyer expectations. As solar becomes more accessible and prevalent on residential structures, this type of energy will also be a common expectation of home buyers seeking new properties.
Is Solar a Good Investment for a New Or Custom Home?
Solar panels can affect the value of a home in different ways in different parts of the country. However, on most properties solar panels can have a big positive impact on the value of a home. In general, it’s believed that solar power can increase your home’s value by as much as $15,000 or $20,000.
When trying to decide whether or not to install solar panels on your home, it’s important to consider the following:
- Solar panels are best installed on a roof that is structurally sound and in good condition.
- Trees, tall buildings and other shade-generating features in the landscape can affect your home’s ability to generate solar energy.
- Homeowners concerned about the aesthetic impact of solar panels can consider solar shingles, which are designed to be integrated integrate into a home’s normal roofing.
Choosing a reputable contractor is important for ensuring that your home will get the most benefit from solar panel installation. A good contractor can ensure that your home’s solar panels are installed properly to maximize solar energy output. A good contractor can also ensure that solar panels are installed safely without damaging your roof.
Greg Geilman REALTOR®
President and CEO, South Bay Residential
1040 MANHATTAN BEACH BLVD. MANHATTAN BEACH, CA 90266